Saturday, November 17, 2007

Hiccups

Papa caught a cold last week. When he was almost recovered he experienced this un-stopable hiccups. It was terrible. Even I was tired when I hear him hipped continuously. Papa was worried that it was more than hicupps. At one point (when nobody was at home) he called Aunt Ling. He told her that he felt terrible and was very frightened. But why didn't he call any of us (my brothers and I) but Aunt Ling? I was angry and puzzled. It makes no sense! Aunt Ling? Why?

OK, I'll tell you how it was cured. I accompanied Papa to SGH-Clinic A for a regular checkup on Tuesday, and he was still hipping. When I went into the doctor's office I can't wait the tell him Papa's problem.

Dr T was calm and somewhat indifference. He told the nurse, "get me 2 cups of cold water" I knew immediately it was for Papa. I thought,"no, water won't do it! We had tried that! He needs medication!" I quickly said,"He had this for 4 days." Implying that water would not help.

The cups of water came. He lifted one cup and said,"Look and follow". He pinched his nose and sipped the water. He turned to Papa and said, "Slowly sipped 15 times without breathing". "No breathing through your mouth."

Papa obeyed. He sipped slowly and then released his nose to grasp for air. Voila ! No more hiccups!


I always knew drinking water cures hiccups. But to cure real hiccups needs the correct technic.

No comments: